If no water is coming out of your faucet:
- Do not apply direct heat to the pipes. If your pipes freeze, use a hair dryer to heat the area around your meter and pipes.
- Make sure the faucet is turned on so melting water can drip out.
- After your pipes have thawed, look to see if your pipes are cracked or damaged and make sure to take necessary precautions to prevent freezing from happening again.
Inspect your water meter for damage throughout the winter. If you notice leaking, let your DPW know.
If a pipe is damaged:
- Shut off the water at the house-side water supply valve near your water meter:
- If the break is in a hot water pipe, close the valve on top of the water heater.
- Call a licensed and registered plumber to repair the broken pipe.
Video credit to Dutton Plumbing.