There are many alternatives to flushing or pouring medications down the drain. Many communities have a medication return drop box at their local police station, where medications can be disposed of, free and anonymously. Needles and sharps are generally disposed of at a local Board of Health.
Please contact your local police department or Board of Health for more information.
Reasons for proper disposal
- Wastewater treatment plants and septic systems are not designed to remove these contaminants.
- Some medications, such as hormones and antidepressants, include endocrine disrupting compounds (EDCs), which interfere with the reproduction and normal growth of many aquatic species, such as frogs and fish.
- Reducing the amount of chemicals flushed down the drain will benefit humans, fish and other aquatic life.
- Services are free and anonymous.
- Dropped off drugs are disposed of properly.